Saturday, April 10, 2010

Yard waste

It’s official. I’ve become that neighbor.

Well, OK, it’s not “official” in the sense that I’ve gotten any sort of notice from the city or even a nasty note from a neighbor. But still. My backyard is a mess. The weeds are… waist high in some spots. It’s embarrassing.

It got that way without my really noticing. I mean, sure, I’d noticed on some level. It was hard to ignore Daisy bounding through the yard like a gazelle. And disappearing when she landed. The dandelions were a pretty clear sign, as well. Higher than the fence just couldn’t be good. But I kept thinking that construction was going to start any day, and what would be the point of making it pretty when it was just going to get messed up as soon as they started on the foundation. Right?

When the loan finally went through last week, I ventured out back to take some of the “before” shots of the house, and I was more than a little appalled to realize just how bad it was. In fact you couldn’t even see the three-foot hole that was dug weeks ago for the soil samples. Couldn’t. See it. It was like a tiger trap. Oops. Thank goodness Daisy’s smart or savvy enough to avoid it.

Anyway. In anticipation of the workers needing to actually see the ground if they’re going to build on it, I spent a couple of hours this afternoon pulling weeds and using the weed eater I borrowed from Paul (“You know it doesn’t actually eat the weeds, right?”). And seriously? Holy cow. Weed eating is hard. I’m not sure why I thought it would be a quick little operation, but, boy, was I wrong. I’m not finished, but I think with another day I’ll have made a good start.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to be crazy sore tomorrow. But it will be good sore!

2 comments:

  1. Now that your house is about to become a showpiece, you'll be more inspired to keep up with the yard :)

    My neighbors pretty much know that if I haven't asked them to start the mower...it hasn't been mowed.

    Two Words: Xeri. Scape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! A comment! Thanks. :) And definitely on hoping I'll be inspired to keep up with the yard. I find myself looking at what others are doing and trying to figure out if it would survive under my care.

    ReplyDelete