Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 1 1/2

It's the end of the first full day. Which started at around 5am. At least that's when I finally realized that trying to get the older boy, E, back to sleep was a non-starter. I'd gotten up around 4:30 and gone out to check on the kids (I'd woken up around 4) and E was standing out in the hall. Just standing there, poor thing. I asked him if he needed to go potty, he said yes, we did that and I got him back in bed. A little while later I heard some noises, went to check and he's sitting on the floor in his room with a toy. I put him back in bed. A little while later, more noise. I got up and this time it was him and his younger brother, J, sitting on the floor with toys. I gave up. In the hopes of keeping the 18 month old asleep, we went out into the living room and played cars. The baby, A, slept until 6.

Woo?

It's now 8:05pm. I'm sitting in my comfy chair in the corner of my room, drinking a glass of wine and eating cold pasta while Daisy chases her food-dispensing toy around the room. I'm just going tozzzzzzzzzzz.

Oh, sorry. Wow, am I tired. It has been a loooooong day. And even now, one of the kiddos started crying in his sleep and needed to be walked around for a little while.

So. Here's what I've learned so far:

1. Three is too many for this single girl. Steinle, I will say it with my outside voice, "You were right."
2. No more diapers.
3. I didn't really know the meaning of the word "overwhelmed" until this morning. I seriously started crying everytime I thought about the rest of the day and week, That coupled with the amazing support I've had from my family and friends and even strangers from church meant that I sat on the floor and wiped my eyes while I identified the color of every block in an enormous bucket of blocks multiple times. I'm doing it again right now. Welcome to crazy-town!

The thing is, they're really sweet kids. It isn't like it's been horrible. AT ALL. I mean, they're kids, and all they're being is who they are - loving, demanding, energetic, contrary, hilarious, stubborn. But it's a lot, I'll admit.

I'm going to try to make it to church tomorrow. It's been weeks, what with being out of town, and I miss it. And I think I need it.  I'll probably sit in the back, lest I spend the whole hour weeping. :)

Love.

4 comments:

  1. We love you and wish we were there to help!

    Mom and Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, Beth! I'm praying - and I want to come by and meet them. You are one of my heros ... always have been. I'll pray specifically for Sleep, glorious Sleep! Hope you made it to church today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're in my thoughts Beth! Miss you - hope this week is good! :)

    ReplyDelete